Ka Iking Libre

An online forum of development issues in the Philippines

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

MOBILIZING FOR LIVELIHOOD

In response to numerous requests from my radio listeners, I decided to form an association that would help people with their livelihood. We are officially adopting “Samahan Para sa Kabuhayan” as the name of our organization, or SAMAKA for short. Membership in SAMAKA is free, and so are our basic livelihood seminars.
**
The SAMAKA identification (ID) card will be out soon, as a voluntary option for members. All applicants are considered as members as soon as they take oath, and they could already avail of association services even if they do not avail of the ID.
**
Support for SAMAKA has started pouring in. Many would like to become members right away, while others are working on advertising placements in my radio show so that I could sustain the public service that I am giving on the air. Moreover, others have volunteered to help SAMAKA members with their financing, marketing, training, accounting and other needs.
**
Former Congressman Ronnie Cosalan wrote: “Our Benguet vegetable farmers are looking for a "bagsakan" here in Metro-Manila for their produce. May we know if the QC facilities are for rent or free? A bagsakan here in Metro-Manila will help cut down the prices of vegetables coming from the Cordillera region because it will bypass the middlemen who facilitate the marketing here thus adding to the cost of their produce”. He also asked: “May we know what kind of coffee is being used by Our Father's Coffee (OFC)? We have a very good variety of Arabica Benguet coffee they may want to explore. Good strong aroma and can be mixed with other varieties”.
**
Ronnie is referring to an up and coming project of SAMAKA to jointly work with the Quezon City government in encouraging our association members to avail of vacant stalls in several public markets owned by the City. My answer to is yes and I would like very much to assist the Benguet vegetable farmers with their marketing needs. About the coffee, I know that OFC is now using a variety from the Mountain Province, but of course the coffee shop would gladly try the Arabica Benguet variety too!
**
S.C. Johnson’s Marketing Director for Asia Frank Guerra wrote: “Thank you for the proposal, Ike. I’m in the US now and will be back end June. This sounds interesting. Even though radio is not our key media vehicle, we keep attuned to important developments that will help support our marketing objectives. When I return, I’d like to meet with you to discuss this and importantly, to catch up with you. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen you. Thanks for keeping me informed”. S.C. Johnson markets Baygon, Raid and Glade among other market leaders.
**
Erwin Serrano wrote: “First of all, let me express my appreciation for giving me brief info about SAMAKA through our Yahoo group. I'm interested to be a member of this group, although I am in Saudi Arabia. FYI, we have organized a group (S.E. Productions) in order to reintegrate and provide assistance to OFWs here in Saudi Arabia. If possible, can I be a member of SAMAKA? If ever, you can send me my ID to Riyadh. Perhaps I should introduce SAMAKA to us here in Saudi. More Power to you.
**
Nextel Sales Manager Beth Diaz de Rivera wrote: “It is good to know that you have joined DZXL. Actually, we already have several radio stations that we did partial exchange deals. We could do the same with you now”. This is good news, because we need radio sets for the members of Rescue Rangers who are reporting to "Gulong ng Kabuhayan".
**
San Miguel Corporation (SMC) lawyer Cesar (Bogs) Borje wrote: “I have been listening to your program. It is really great. Keep up the good work”. Bogs is working on advertising support from SMC, since I have lost touch with my former colleagues there. Hopefully, we could bring in B-Meg Feeds and Magnolia Chicken, two products that I handled when I was with SMC.
**
Philippine Business for Social Progress (PBSP) Manager Felix Tonog wrote: “Regarding the radio interview and promotion of business counseling, I suggest that we start with our Program Manager Billy San Juan and me. We could go to the studio if necessary. Then we will schedule our volunteer advisers and assisted enterprises. This is good news for SAMAKA members.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home